1/14/11

What's In Your Wallet? Jan. 14, 2011

Identity Theft

When I speak to groups about crime prevention, one topic I often cover is Identity Theft.  A quick exercise is to have folks look in their wallets and see what in there is needed on a daily basis, and what they ought to be keeping locked up a home.

Here's your homework for the weekend...  Clean out your wallet.  Do you carry extra credit cards, especially store cards for places you seldom go?  How about your Social Security card?  Children's school pictures with their names written on them?  A spare house key?  Your kids' Social Security numbers and birth dates?

Mine should be pretty clean, but I'm going to double check it and see what is in it.  I'll report back on Sunday with what I find.  I'll also share my rationale then for some commonly carried items that I recommend against.

Protecting yourself and your family is more than a shotgun and flashlight beside the bed.  Identity theft can be a true personal SHTF for months or years, and cost you a lot of money and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.