8/31/10

Earl Update

Looks like Earl is moving farther west.  That could bode ill.  He is still a Category 4, but is predicted to slow a bit as he approaches shore.  There is a Hurricane Watch in place for the Outer Banks of N.C., and the far Southeast corner of Va.  We should know by tomorrow morning if the Outer Banks will need to evacuate and how much of the Hampton Roads/Tidewater Va. area will be affected.  For today's prep work, I cleaned out my gutters, got 25 gallons of gas for the generator, and we're getting ready to go to the store to get a little more water, and a bit more non-perishable food (plus some fresh fruit, veggies and milk for the week).The nice thing about living a preparedness lifestyle is that when something like this is on the horizon, I just have a few acute needs to take care of.  Far easier than panic buying and fighting the crowds with the storm just hours away. 

I feel better prepared for this storm than previous ones.  I owe a thanks to you, my readers, for that feeling.  Having you out there, holds me accountable.  Thinking about what to write encourages me to do it, and needing to be honest and credible means I really have to do it, not just talk about it.

I have a couple more last minute things to do tomorrow, but they are really icing on the cake.  I'll stay updated on Earl throughout the day for my work, but also for you.  "Like" us on the If It Hits The Fan page on Facebook (Hey!  We passed 50 likers today! Thanks!) so you'll get any important updates I post.

More tomorrow to let you know what my last minute efforts are.  If you are along the coast from NC to Maine, and in to Canada, please be sure you are ready, and have your family evacuation planning in place.  Also, please post in the comments to let me know what you are doing and how you fared after this is over.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Donald. I enjoy your blog. I am going to add you onto my preferred reading list ... to hopefully help your readership grow.

    I would love for you to follow my little blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.