10/17/10

Prepper Ponderings Oct. 17, 2010

Just a few brief items today. Things that have caught my attention over the past few days.

Virginia Hunger Symposium
Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave, Va. is hosting the 4th Annual Virginia Hunger Symposium next week.  A member of a preparedness forum that I frequent (The Survival Podcast) is going to have a tent set up at the carnival on 10/23 and is doing a session on Easy Home Gardening, Canning & Preserving Nutritious Foods on 10/27.  Although my grandparents were prodigious canners when I was a kid, I only saw them for brief periods of time each summer and was unable to learn from them.  Canning is an excellent way to preserve the harvest (both produce and meat) and can be fun for the whole family.  I'd really like to attend, but work gets in the way.  I'm hoping that Brad will have great attendance at this class.  If you are in the area, check him out!

If It Hits The Fan goes International!
I just checked my reader stats for the first time.  Wow!  I am truly humbled. I've had nearly 1,000 readers from 10 countries on four continents.  Thank you so much!

Amazing Flood Evacuations
Speaking of international, torrential rains have recently caused widespread flooding in the Chinese province of Hainan, causing 440,000 to be evacuated.  Thousands of homes, roads, farms, etc... have been damaged or destroyed.  I've played a small role in flooding evacuations in the city where I work.  We're talking a couple dozen people, not 440,000.  I can't imagine the resources and logistics involved in such a huge undertaking.  In addition to being an interesting story, its a good reminder to us to know our area's low-lying areas and flood plains, and to be alert to flood warnings on our NOAA radios.  You do have a NOAA emergency radio, don't you? I have the Midland WR100 Weather Radio and have been very pleased with it.

Quoted in the Newspaper
I was interviewed for and quoted in a Daily Press article yesterday about evaluating and responding to a recent rash of threats to courthouses and schools.  I'm in the last few paragraphs on the second page.

Support for If It Hits The Fan
I have several goals with If It Hits The Fan.  First, is to share my knowledge of family preparedness and have dialog with others who are joining me in the daily challenge of making things better for our families.  Second, is to discipline myself with writing.  I am getting ready to start writing a book that will be a parent's guide to school safety.  One of the best ways to be a better writer is to write more.  Third, is to complement another project I have going on, Virginia Disaster PrepVDP is intended to be my consulting and training outlet.  It is still in its infancy, but I hope to have a major roll out in the spring.  Lastly, I hope that If It Hits The Fan, my book, and VDP can eventually start making me a little money.  To that end, there are a couple ways you can help me reach that goal.  I have just become an affiliate of Survival Gear Bags.  If you use the link from here to visit their website and buy some of their great merchandise, I'll get a small commission.  Same thing with Amazon.  Anything that I link to on Amazon is something with which I have personal knowledge or experience.  The other way you can help, is just to spread the word.  Tell your friends about If It Hits The Fan.  Interact with us either here on the blog or on our Facebook page. If you do business with a vendor that I mention, please let them know you heard about them here.

I won't be mentioning support very often, so don't worry about this becoming ad-centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.