1/15/11

Herbs Jan. 15, 2011

Nature's Healers

A few weeks ago, I mentioned on here that I was planning to add a couple patches of herbs to the garden this year.  The herbs will be more for cooking and flavor than medicinal, because medicinal herbs is a very complex subject that I need to learn a lot more about.

Thank you, Jack Spirko!  On The Survival Podcast, he is halfway through a four part series on medicinal herbs and herbal actions.  In each part, he focuses on 10 actions (immune stimulant, sedative, and anti-inflammatory are examples of actions) and discusses different herbs that accomplish each action.  Many herbs get repeated because they have so many different uses.  Dandelions and garlic come to mind there.

Anyway, if you have not listened to the series so far, it is well worth the time.  Jack shares a great deal of knowledge with the listener.  I need to go back and listen with a pen and paper.  Riding down the road, it is really too much information to keep track of.  Part One and Part Two have already been done.  The next two parts should be over the next two weeks.


One That Got Away

Here's another entry in my list of guns I've owned and gotten rid of but wish I still had.

I turned 21 on a Sunday.  The gun store was closed, so I had to wait until the next day to make my first pistol purchase from a dealer.  The gun I picked out was a used Colt Commander.  The grip frame of a standard Government Model, but a 4.5" barrel and slide instead of the standard 5".  It was in great condition, and fit just right in my hand or holster.  It shot wonderfully with good accuracy and no feeding problems.  It ended up being part of a stable of three different 1911 variants that I had at the time, and my usual carry gun.

A few years later, I sold it and a Springfield Armory Government Model that had been set up as a "competition rig" as they were in the late '70s.  I used the money from those two to buy a Sig-Sauer P220.  Several years after that, I sold the Sig to buy one of the first Kimbers to come out (a four digit serial number).  It's a vicious cycle.  I don't really regret getting rid of the SA or the Sig, but I do miss that Colt Commander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.