2/13/11

In The Kitchen Feb. 13, 2011

Breakdown Sheppard's Pie

I'm digging in to my Y2K thoughts here, but how about a recipe for some of your long term storage foods?

In my circle, we referred to Y2K as "the breakdown" when we were preparing for it.  It spawned the saying, "In a breakdown situation, you'd be damn glad to have one," that we used whenever we thought about getting a particular piece of gear.

After the breakdown didn't happen, I began using my stored food.  One recipe I came up with was my Breakdown Sheppard's Pie.  Pretty darn tasty, if I do say so myself.


Ingredients:

One can of Roast Beef & Gravy

Four cups (prepared) of instant mashed potatoes
One cup (prepared) of cheddar cheese sauce from powder (make it a little thick for best results) - any of your long term storage brands work great
One can of peas with carrots (drained)


Process:

Mix a 1/2 cup of your cheese sauce into the mashed potatoes
Line a bread pan with about 3/4 of your potato/cheese mixture
Fill the opening with the roast beef & gravy and peas & carrots
Spread the remaining potato/cheese mixture on top
Drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese sauce on the top

Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes

Serves 2 hungry, large men, or 4-5 normal folks


Sponsor of the Week

Our Sponsor of the Week is Wise Food Storage from Directive 21.  Wise Food offers various sized selections of food packaged as individual meals in handy buckets in sizes ranging from a simple grab and go kit to a full year for a family.  They have a huge variety that includes breakfasts, dinner casseroles, and soups.


Guaranteed Survival Tip

I have a tip, that if you don't follow, you are almost assured of It Hitting The Fan if you are married or have a significant other...  Tomorrow is Valentine's Day - don't forget to get your someone special something for the day.  Flowers, chocolates, a box of canning jars, a new rifle... You'll have to figure out the what on your own, I've done my job by reminding you!

2 comments:

  1. Survival veggie burger:

    1 cup instant oats
    6 tbsp re-constituted powdered egg
    1/2 cup beans (canned or cooked dried)
    1/4 cup Wild greens of choice (dandelion, curly dock, lambs quarters, wild onion,etc.)
    1/4 cup oil
    spices of choice

    Mix all ingredients (except oil)in bowl. Beans may be mashed first if desired.
    When oats thoroughly moistened, form into patties. Heat oil in iron skillet at med high.
    Fry patties until brown and crispy on outside, still moist inside, about 3 minutes a side.

    Grits with a bit of dry potato flakes may be substituted for oats. If you've got canned cheese (or fresh made from nonfat dry milk) so much the better. Cheese burger!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.