11/10/11

Nice To Be Knoty

How Many Knots Do You Know?

I've never been much of a knot tier.  I can tie my shoes.  I can lash down furniture in the back of the truck, but I usually have to cut the cord rather than untie it.  I can tie what I've always called a half hitch, but I don't think it really is.  Some times I can get a square knot right.  Other than that, not too much.  But knots are important.  It's especially important to be able to untie your knots to recover your cordage or remove evidence of you being somewhere if it is a SHTF or even a leave no trace camping excursion.

I recently picked up The Camper's Knot Tying game.

This is a neat way to learn different knots.  It's set up like a card game, where two players compete to see who can tie each knot in the deck the fastest to receive the points on that knot card.  Of course, you can always just practice on your own.  I think it's kind of unreasonable to expect someone to master all 50 knots in the deck, but it should be easy enough to master enough different ones to provide a well rounded skill set for most situations.  It's inexpensive enough to make great stocking stuffers or give one to each person in the family or group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.