11/26/12

First Look: Kahr CM9

Good Things Come In Small Packages

I mentioned the other day that I had picked up a Kahr CM9.  Kahr suggests a 200 round break in for their pistols, so yesterday evening, I ran 50 rounds through it in the back yard.  I didn't do anything with accuracy, just shooting into a stump at close range to 1. start the break in period, 2. get used to the trigger pull, and 3. see how the recoil was.

Why did I choose the Kahr?  I routinely carry either my NAA .22 mini-revolver and/or my Colt Agent .38.  I wanted something harder hitting than the NAA and more compact than the Colt.  I was leaning toward the Ruger LCP, but they are not easy nor pleasurable to shoot.  A friend suggested the CM9, and research led me to that as a good choice.  It shoots 9mm, so it is compatible with my Glocks and AR, as well as being a decent caliber for defense.  It is slightly heavier than the Agent, but is a lot shorter and thinner.  There are also a ton of holsters available for the CM9.

How were the first 50 rounds?  It has a unique type of double action only trigger pull.  Not at all like the first round of my Sig, and nothing like the trigger on a revolver.  It took a while to get used to it.  There is a very long take up with little resistance until it engages.  But it is smooth and consistent.  I was using Remington 115 gr. FMJ and all 50 rounds fed flawlessly.  The sights are a white bar rear and white dot front, and very easy to line up.  I'll try some actually accuracy next weekend.  The recoil was very easy and not at all what I expected.  Not sharp at all.  The only negative I see is that the magazines are thumb eaters.  But I'll get used to that.

So far, I am very happy with the Kahr CM9.  Check it out if you are in the market for a sub compact 9mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.