12/19/10

al-Qaida Warnings for Christmas Dec. 19, 2010

Terrorism?

Last Monday, an airport shuttle van driver at Dulles International, outside of D.C., drove his van at 90-95 m.p.h. and purposefully struck several passenger cars and a cab.  When arrested at the airport, the driver, Muhammad Teshale, freely admitted to it.  It is thought that he may have undertaken a vehicular jihad in response to an article in Inspire Magazine entitled: "The Ultimate Mowing Machine."

Inspire is an online, English language magazine that is produced by al-Qaida of the Arabian Peninsula.  It features articles written by such American terrorists as Anwar al-Awlaki and Adam Gadahn.  In "The Ultimate Mowing Machine," the author encourages readers to get a large pick-up and weld steel blades to the bumper, then plow through pedestrians.  In 2006, an Iranian student at the University of North Carolina drove his SUV into a crowd of students leaving a class. 

Recent news reports revealed that terrorists captured overseas have claimed that strikes are planned for the U.S. and Europe over Christmas.  Could last Monday's rampage have been planned as an opening salvo?  Even if he acted alone in response to the magazine article, imagine the disruption to our daily lives if across the country just a few "lone wolves" drove their cars into crowds of shoppers, kids waiting for a school bus, small town Christmas parades, college football fans outside of a bowl game, or any other "all American" location.  Imagine if these small scale attacks continued every few days, in towns large and small.  Perhaps adding in the occasional suicide bomber on a city bus or in the grocery store checkout.  It happens in Israel, why do we think it can't happen here?

What can we do? 

Primarily, be alert and aware of your surroundings.  Carry a weapon if it is legal and you are skilled in its use.  Report suspicious people, behaviors and vehicles to your local law enforcement agency (better yet, cut out the middle man and go straight to your state's Fusion Center with the information).

Sorry to head into a wonderful and blessed time of the year with such a gloom and doom posting, but I think it is important for us to be aware of.  One would think that the information on Teshale and Inspire magazine would have been widespread, but I only found out from a regional threat assessment update that I get.

Generator Update

The saga continues.  As we were expecting several inches of snow with some possible ice at the end, I was fearful of losing our electricity on Thursday.  Wednesday, I bit the bullet and ordered a complete replacement carburetor from a supplier in North Carolina with the estimate from UPS that I'd receive it by Thursday afternoon.  Well, here it is Sunday, I haven't got the carb.  I haven't got the jet screw that might fit.  My generator is still down, but at least we haven't lost power.  Maybe Santa is planning to bring them to me.  At any rate, I'm hopeful that I'll get both tomorrow, the jet will fit, and I'll have a working generator with a complete spare carburetor on standby.

Last Minute Shopping

I've added some more books and some gear to my Amazon list (upper left corner of the blog) if you need any last minute gift suggestions for the preppers in your life.  Everything I list is something I either own, have owned, or have some first hand positive experience with.

2 comments:

  1. I keep waiting for Jihad strikes in the US. We are ripe for them happening. Moslem's have spread out all over the US and most after getting set up and organized get taken over by jihad groups. I've seen it happen even here in little ole Missouri. I've had friends go from warm, friendly and open to shy and fear showing in their eyes. that's the problem with Islam, you have to do as told or face the having your family destroyed if you don't. Women are expected to have very large families. what mother would risk not being a suicide bomber when all the life's of her children are at risk not to mention her siblings and their families and parents. No one in this country seems to have even a moments thought to such a thing happening here! I watch in horror as community after community goes to building school compounds with K-12th all in the same area and easy to take over if they so choose to do so. I think of Israel who has had schools taken over and bombed. Can you imagine instead of just one school they take out every child in the entire community? As I watch in despair as they bumble through Air port security never having a clue on how they should actually do it and ponder what our government will do if and when we suddenly face what Israel has for so very long. I hope and pray we never have to face such a thing but I fear it's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherlynn - your comments about schools are some of what keeps me up at night. I'm responsible for the safety of 32,000 K-12 students every day. I'm working on a book that will be a parent's guide to school safety and emergency preparedness to help mitigate some of the threat. I've studied Beslan, Ma'alot, and other terrorist attacks. Yes, even here in the US, dating back to the 1920's. I'll do a post on some of the history soon.

    Thanks for the comments!
    Donald

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.