12/12/10

Prepper Ponderings Dec. 12, 2010

Just a few brief items today...

Book Review: The War After Armageddon by Ralph Peters

I picked this up last weekend at Wal-Mart while waiting for my "instacheck" (2.25 daggone hours) to buy the Rossi Youth Model.  I've always been a fan of post-Apocalyptic fiction.  Going by the title of this one, and the mushroom cloud on the cover, I was expecting a good one.  The book opens in the first person.  An old man is talking to his grandson about the war.  Seems the powers that be are now radical Christians and the Constitution is no longer in effect.  The book then goes back to the war, I think about 2025.  Radical Islamists have declared war on the West and conducted nuclear attacks throughout Europe, then Los Angeles and Las Vegas.  The nukes on US soil have brought about the rise of an evangelist who ends up being Vice President, and commander of a new force of Christian soldiers who get all the best weapons and equipment.  The war is in the Holy Land, and traditional US forces are fighting with the Christian forces against the Muslims.  So far, a pretty good read.  But then it bogs down.  For my tastes, it goes too far into the minutia of battle. The battles reach a turning point, then the story jumps back to the old man where we learn who he is and how he knows so much of the history.  It was an OK book.  If you are looking for something along the lines of Patriots or Alas, Babylon, you'll be disappointed.  If you like the W.E.B. Griffith type of military fiction, you'll probably really like it.

TV Show Review: Get Out Alive - Hijack on Flight 73 (Discovery Channel)

This was the first episode of a 6-part series.  This dealt with the story of Mike Thaxton, who was a passenger on Pan Am Flight 73 when it was hijacked in Pakistan in 1986.The show was a good combination of reenactments and interviews with Mr. Thaxton and the Pakistani head of Pan Am on the ground.  What I really got out of it was the thought process that this "regular Joe" had to go through to face death and survive.  Since this happened, he has become a speaker and trainer on surviving kidnappings and hijackings.  Many of us possess the gear and tactical skills to deal with a situation like this.  But do we have the psychological tools to do it?  This show was a good look at the mental edge needed.  I'd watch it again, and suggest you put it on your list.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the other episodes cover.

Product Review: Midland GXT 1000VP4

I picked up two pair of these radios the other day.  I'm very satisfied.  They are about the top of the line for the "bubble pack" mass market FRS/GMRS radios.  The power lasted about 24 hours, mostly on standby, but with a fair amount of talking.  From inside our brick house to the neighbor's, about 150 yards, my wife and I could communicate with no problems with them set on low power.  When I went to the dump later, we could speak on high power at about 3/4 mile with no problem.  This area is pretty heavily wooded with quite a rolling terrain.  In an open prairie area, the range would be significantly farther.  They have a lot of features which will take time to learn, but for regular communications around the homestead, they are fantastic so far.  I'll be keeping one pair charged up in a Faraday cage (perhaps another blog post later about that) and the other pair in use, swapping them out every couple months.  Take a look at these if you need some basic communications.

Blizzards and Riots

Our friends in the Midwest are taking it on the chin right now from a heavy winter storm.  Heavy snow is causing power outages and the collapse of the roof of the Minnesota Vikings stadium.  Good motivation for those of us not affected to double check our winter supplies and plans.

The college riots continue in Great Britain.  The "students" are rioting to protest rising costs being placed on them instead of on the taxpayers.  US college costs have risen dramatically, and I can easily see riots starting here at some of our colleges and universities.  If you live or work near a large one, keep your eyes and ears open.

Generator Update

I'm still waiting for my carburetor jet screw that MIGHT fit my generator to be delivered.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  If you are in the market for a portable generator, keep in mind that Generac does not sell replacement parts because they don't want buyers to work on them.  They sell complete replacement cabueruators for about $70.  They won't be getting my business again.  When I get the jet, I'll let you know if it works, and if it does, the source.

4 comments:

  1. As someone who's in south central Minnesota this was a real nasty storm. What made it all the worse was the freezing rain we got before the snow started. We had some highways that were closed for over 24 hours. People were getting stuck in cars and 2wd trucks in town. There were some places that would have gotten a good 4wd stuck.

    Planning ahead on stuff did make a difference here. Here's a list of what I was glad I had on hand that was needed:
    --Extra fuel for the snow blower, I had to fuel it three or four times instead of the normal one to two.
    --Extra sidewalk salt, I think I used 30+ lbs just for this storm.
    --A good 4wd with good all terrain tires, this is what got me home! You can find AT tires with the snow tire rating (the snowflake on the mountain), this is what I run.
    --Experience driving in bad winter weather (there's no easy way to get this but it is a valuable skill).

    Gear that I didn't need but was glad I had:
    --Winter sleeping bag in 4wd
    --Heavy winter clothing in 4wd
    --Scoop shovel to help extract vehicles
    --Cash reserves to get a hotel room & food if I'd decided I couldn't safely make it home (if the power or communications lines are down they can't/won't accept plastic but will almost certainly take cash).
    --Overnight bag in the vehicle (in case I'd chosen to spend the night at a hotel)
    --Back-up heaters for the house (both LP & kerosene) along with a few days worth of fuel. My heaters are primarily for when I'm working in the garage but should be enough to protect my pipes from freezing in the house, anything past that is a bonus.

    Remember that if you are using a portable heater in your house that you NEED to provide sufficient ventilation for the carbon monoxide produced by the heater. People die every year because of this.

    I learned that I need to upgrade my Jeep's lighting as that was the main issue I ran into getting home Saturday afternoon. I'm still researching what works as well as what's legal here.

    I also recommend finding out if your State has a Department of Transportation website that shows road conditions. Minnesota has one that even has a smart phone version (very handy when at work, shopping etc). http://www.511mn.org/

    Steelheart

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for listing the book! I love to read but rarely have time but winter usually gives me extra time to read! will be on the watch for it to tuck away and read later this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is a list of other books I'm waiting to read: The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
    ISBN-10: 1434400247, Last Light
    ISBN-10: 0752893270, Without Warning
    ISBN-10: 0345502906, The Walk
    ISBN-10: 1453728988, On the Beach
    ISBN-10: 0307473996, Earth Abides
    ISBN-10: 0345487133, Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
    ISBN-10: 1597801054

    if anyone has read any of these please let me know if they are worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steelheart - thanks for the info! Glad you made it through ok. Here in Va. we are looking at the teens for the next three nights. I've put the electric heater under the house. Va. DOT road info number is also 511 - apparently this is getting to be a universal thing, like 411 and 911.

    Brchbell - glad you liked the review! Sounds like a great winter of reading you have planned!

    Cherlyn - thanks for sharing the list, I'll look in to many of those. On the Beach is a classic that I have been meaning to read!

    Donald

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.