1/4/11

Garden Planning Jan. 4, 2011

It's Garden Time

Last year was my first garden.  I have a 16 x 4 box, 24 inches high.  Last year's effort was a learning experience, and I will expand a bit this year.

I've got three seed catalogs, each with their unique aspects:

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is a sort of a commune in Louisa, Virginia, less than a couple hours from me.  One of these days, I'll take a field trip up there and write about seeing it first hand.  Their catalog is the smallest of the three.  For each category (cucumbers, tomatoes, etc...) they have some general background and planting/harvesting instructions.  For each variety, they have some pretty good information about where the plant originates, how long it has been around, and variety-specific information.  I've made most of my selections from this catalog.  Although I've got to pay Virginia sales tax (boo, hiss), the money will stay in Virginia, and the plants are adapted to the climate here.

Territorial Seed Company is the thickest catalog, with a huge variety of plants.  It also has the largest selection of tools and accessories, as well as books.  They are out of Cottage Grove, Oregon.  For each variety, they list some specific details.  They also offer a wide variety of seed order sizes ranging from a tiny sampler pack to 25 pounds for some varieties.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is a beautiful catalog, about a foot square, printed on glossy paper.  It is run by a young couple out of the Ozarks in Mansfield, Missouri.  They are very proud that all of their seeds are non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented.  The catalog features tons of large, full color photos of the produce, but their descriptions are not as thorough as the others.

Each of these companies will send you a free catalog.  I think each is worth supporting with part of my order.

So, what seeds am I getting?  Check back tomorrow to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.