1/5/11

Garden and Gun Jan. 5, 2011

No, I'm not plugging the hoity toity "lifestyle" magazine that refuses to take ads for the NRA Foundation.  It's just the two topics I'm covering today.


Garden

So, what am I planting this spring? 
Scarlet Nantes carrots; Straight Eights slicing cucumbers; World Beater sweet peppers; Jalapenos; Easter Egg radishes; Illini Star tomatoes; Amy's Sugar Gem cherry tomatoes; and Cilantro.  I have organic lettuces that did great last year and I'm going to plant again this season.

I'll order some fall crops a little later in the year.  I have a great spot in the front yard for a pumpkin patch.


Gun

I have finally gotten around to putting together my package to get my concealed weapon permit.  I've never had one before.  Before I was a cop, I carried openly (usually ;-), then for 15 years as a cop, I did not need a permit.  I have retired credentials, but that federal law that gives retired LEO the ability to carry nation wide is designed specifically to make the process as much of a pain and inconvenience as possible.  I've also always thought it was wrong for police to be given privileges that other law abiding citizens had to jump through hoops for.  So, I've gone ahead and done it.  I got the notarizing done today and will drop it in the mail tomorrow.  As much as I hate the idea that I need to pay for government permission to exercise my rights, at least here in Virginia it is a pretty simple process. 

Ultimately, it comes down to personal responsibility.  No one else can protect you and your family, you have to do it yourself.  As they say, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away."


What's Up With The Birds And Fish?

The reports keep expanding the affected areas.  Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Sweden, Canada, United Kingdom, Texas... it keeps growing.  I can't even begin to speculate on what might be causing these things, but it's pretty darn weird, and somewhat disconcerting.  Definitely something we should all be keeping an eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.