1/10/11

Magazines, Not Clips Jan. 10, 2011

Nope, I'm not talking the spring loaded boxes that hold ammo in a gun, ready to fire.  I'm talking about magazines that you read.


The Good Old Days

The 80's and 90's saw some great survival magazines.  Primary is American Survival Guide (originally Survival Guide).  Jim Benson was the editor and each issue featured guns, gear and skills to survive TEOTWAWKI, being lost in the wilderness, or terrorism.  Many issues featured gun giveaway contests.  I never entered, but I wonder how many people actually did.  A friend and I wrote an article for the "It Happened To Me" feature about our experiences in Desert Storm.  He took writer credits and I became a freelance combat photographer, but we split the pay (I believe it was $150).  My copy of the magazine is long lost, but the other night, my mom told me she found her copy - I'll get it next time I see her and scan and post the article.  After Y2K, ASG got bought out by a publisher who just did not get it, and it faded away.

SURVIVE was another magazine of the era.  It was published by Robert K. Brown and the gang over at Soldier of Fortune.  It did not last nearly as long as ASG.


Fast Forward

About a year ago, there were really no survival magazines on the market.  I've been reading Backwoods Home and Mother Earth News.  Both are more closely related to self-sufficient living, but have relevant survival articles.  BWH has a libertarian editorial slant and has a monthly gun column by Massad Ayoob.  MEN has a much more liberal editorial slant.  Both regularly feature letters from readers saying "Cancel my subscription because of your politics."  My politics are much more closely aligned with those of BWH, but I learn a lot from both and think both are well worth the money for a subscription.  There are also a few primitive skills mags and small farm/rural lifestyle mags, but I seldom read them.  Please leave a comment if you do, and what you think of them.


Jackpot!

The past year has brought forth an avalanche of survival magazines.  Ron Hood, one of the senior statesmen in the modern survival movement has introduced Survival Quarterly Magazine.  A friend subscribes, and it is a slick, high quality, glossy mag with lots of recognized survival professionals on the masthead.  I was very impressed, and plan to get my subscription in as soon as I save up a little more allowance.

Dave Canterbury, the co-host of Duel Survivor on the Discovery Channel, has just release the premier issue of Self Reliance Illustrated.  I'm really looking forward to getting it.  It looks to be another high quality read with a very experienced writing staff.  My friend, professional adventure racer Payge McMahon, has a featured column each issue.

Finally, Complete Survivalist Magazine has just hit the market.  They shipped the first issue to subscribers on 12/13, and folks are reporting getting it, but I have yet to receive mine.  I'm not familiar with the group putting it out, but they have a blog and Blog Talk Radio show.  Judging by the cover art of the premier issue and the list of topics covered, it looks like it might be the heir apparent to ASG.  Word on the street is that they are also looking at doing a prepper/survival expo in Dallas this summer.  Stand by for more.

I'm really hopeful that all of these magazines will succeed and live up to my expectations.  There is room for all in this world of preparedness media.  I encourage you to check them out and support one or more of them that best suits your need and interests.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I remember SURVIVE magazine well. I have the first two issues. A few years ago I bought a large collection of all the issues - ended up selling them later.

    I believe the magazine started off as SURVIVE, then switched to American Survival Guide, then Guns & Action - then ended.

    Rourke
    ModernSurvivalOnline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Survival Guide was separate from SURVIVE. ASG started as Survival Guide and was from McMillan publishing if I remember correctly. Maybe McMillan & Gee? I'll have to go out to the shop and check. The editor, Jim Benson, has had an online magazine for several years at http://www.modernsurvival.net SG/ASG had a run of close to 20 years.

    SURVIVE was from the good people at Soldier of Fortune magazine and only lasted the early 80's.

    I've still got quite a few of both, found two years ago in my Dad's attic where I stashed them before leaving for Parris Island in 86.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.