4/17/11

Springtime for BOB

BOB Seasonal Change

I'm pretty late on doing the seasonal change on my Bug Out Bag, but it has been a cool spring.

I keep my bag packed in my truck with the purpose of using it to get home if I'm stranded with or without my truck.  I work over 50 miles away, and depending on the circumstances and route, it could take me 3-4 days to hike home.  I have a close friend down there that I could shelter with if necessary, but I like to have my own supplies so I don't take from theirs.  I keep my bag set up with several days of water, food and shelter capabilities.  I've got some thoughts on expanding it in the near future that I will share at the end.

Here's the current contents:
From left to right, bottom to top...
2 underwear
2 camouflage bandannas
2 pair socks
2 dark colored t-shirts
OD boonie hat
Eddie Bauer khaki "bush" shirt
21st Century Ka-Bar wrapped in about 10 feet of duct tape
5 granola bars
pack of Kool-Aid singles
mints
notepad with Sharpies and a pen
belt
lined flannel shirt vacuum sealed
light blanket vacuum sealed
Sardines
2 Campbell's soup
tuna fish
2 cans pineapple bits
first aid kit
compact binoculars
LED flashlight
handcrank flashlight
space blanket
handwarmers
Bic lighter
Swiss Army Knife
candle lantern
dentist's sample toothpaste & toothbrush
pack of tissues

In the truck, I also have body armor, some hiking shoes and four 3-liter bottles of water.  My water plan, if I have to leave the truck, is to fill up the CamelBak reservoir from the water bottles, then, as I find more water, I can fill up the reservoir from a questionable source, but drink it only through the Sport Berkey.

I think to further refine the bag, I will move the clothes to a small duffel bag and improve the food and shelter capabilities.  I can expand upon the food a little without affecting the weight too much.  I'll also add a dark colored small tarp for sheltering.

No matter what, if I have to hike home, it's going to suck.  The key to my BOB is to make it suck a little less.  I'd never make it home in good shape in my khakis, shirt and tie wearing dress shoes; and I work far enough away that food and water supplies are a must.  If I worked 6-10 miles from home, I'd have it set up totally different.


Sponsor Of The Week

Our Sponsor of the Week is Essential Packs.  Give them a visit and check out their huge variety of packs, CERT gear, and emergency equipment.  You can also subscribe for free to their informative newsletter and emergency preparedness tips.  Of course, please tell them you heard about them at If It Hits The Fan.

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.