9/14/11

Updates

The Garden

I haven't given a garden update in a while, so here goes...  My jalapenos did great.  Off of just two plants that never got more than a couple feet tall, I probably got 40 or so peppers.  Just the right amount of sweet and hot - yum!  My tomatoes did pretty good... much better than last year.  I lost one of my four plants, but the others kept me in enough tomatoes to eat a few a week all summer, and they still have a few green ones.  My lettuce did amazing, but my carrots were pretty lousy - they tasted great, but were tiny and misshapen.  I'll plant another batch in a couple weeks when it finally cools off some.  I thought my sweet baby watermelons were dead and gone, but one had made a resurgence, and has a few tiny melon buds on it... we'll see if it comes to fruition (pun sort of intended).  The strawberries have given me a few amazingly delicious berries, and I think next year will go gangbusters. 

That's what's happened.  I learned a lot and ate a little.  I'll expand some for next year.  Thanks to my step-mom's horse operation, I get all the high quality compost I can use.  It's so good, they even swap it out to a friend of their with a certified organic small farm.


The Blog

I've been amazed and honored by the fact that so many of you take time out of your day to read what I have to say.  When I started in May of 2010, I never thought it would get to this level.  When I started doing daily (for the most part) posts on Jan. 1 of this year, I was hopeful, but still not sure.  Now that we are here, I think it is time to grow more.  Readership had a couple of big spikes from links to some of the major blogs, and I've been pretty steady for a couple of months, but I think we can do better.

Some feedback would really help.  Would you mind sending me an email and let me know if you have any suggestions?  I need to learn about SEO, RSS, and other ranking and syndication tools.  If you can steer me to some intel on these topics, I'd really appreciate it.  I've read Crush It!and got a lot out of it back in January.  I need to work on getting those principles back into play.

Do I expect to ever make this my full time gig?  No, but if I could make it a great part time income, that would be fantastic and is a goal.  I do this blog because I love the topic and I love spreading what I know.  Money is an added bonus.

On that note, if you could support my affiliate programs with Survival Gear Bags, Emergency Essentials, and Amazon, that would be really appreciated.  Every time you buy from any of them using the links on here, I get a small commission and it doesn't cost you anything additional.  With Amazon, anything you buy after entering through my store earns me commission, not just things in my "store."  Christmas is coming, and if you are like me, you buy a lot of gifts through Amazon.  Finally, we have some If It Hits The Fan T-shirts for sale at www.IfItHitsTheFanGear.com and will get they paracord wristbands up there this weekend.  My wonderful wife is making them and everyone who wears one loves it.

As Bartles and James used to say, "Thank you for your support."

1 comment:

  1. My garden do about the ssame as yours. It has been a learning year for gardening for me and my friend. Next year after some soil amendments and a good tilling I think that we will see much better crops come in. That is why they say that you need to know what you are doing before SHTF and not during it. Good to hear about the blog. I read it often.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.