10/4/11

Product Review: Buck 860

Buck 860 Neck Knife

When we were out in August and toured the Buck Knives factory, I picked up a Buck 860 neck knife in the gift shop.  I've been wearing it almost daily since then and am ready to give it a fair evaluation.
The knife is 4 1/4 inches long overall, with a blade length of slightly over 1 3/4 inches.  With the sheath and paracord lanyard, it is 1 oz.  Just the knife itself is 0.4 oz.  It comes shaving sharp, and so far it seems to hold an edge pretty darn well.  I've cut packing tape, envelopes, paracord, twine, and miscellaneous other items over the past month and it will still shave my arm.  The two finger grooves, combined with the spine serrations in two places make it very comfortable and easy to use for either fine work or more sturdy efforts.

The paracord is comfortable, but I need to replace it with a beaded dog tag chain for safety reasons.  My sheath is different than the one pictured in Amazon, but I think both are equally useful.

If you are in the market for a small neck knife for EDC, the Buck 860 is a value priced, but high quality and useful blade.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.