11/15/11

SHTF BOV

Now That's A Truck!

The other day I was driving along and saw this rig parked at a local ammo store.  I actually went down the block and turned around to come back and track down the owner.  I found him to be a "like-minded" individual.  We spoke briefly and I asked him if he minded if I took a picture of his truck and told him about If It Hits The Fan. 

So, here it is... A Ford F650, 4 wheel drive, extended cab, and a beefed up suspension running what look like the wheels and tires off of a 5 ton military truck.  The paint is flat, and the white things on the front bumpers are LED running lights.  I've got no idea how much something like this costs, but it will get him where he needs to go for sure.



A New Book To Review

I just got Survive! by my pal, Jerry Ahern, today.  It's been out for over a year, but I hadn't gotten around to picking up a copy until now.  Jerry is the author of the Survivalist series of adventure novels, numerous other novels, and countless magazine articles on guns, knives and survival skills.

Survive! Is not about nuclear Armageddon, EMP knocking out the entire electrical grid, or a slate-wiping outbreak of zombie Ebola.  I love the first paragraph of his introduction:

"This is not a book about how to get ready for the 'end of civilization as we know it.'  As a husband, a father and a grandfather, I have no interest at all in societal collapse.  I do not view turmoil and chaos as exciting, and roughing it is all well and good as long as one does so by choice and, at the end of the excursion, one can return to hot showers, warm meals and soft bedding.  In short, I'm not eagerly looking forward to Armageddon,"

Many of the pictures in the book show Jerry in various survival-related activities.  But he's not putting on a show for us wearing the latest tactical, high-speed-low-drag super trooper gear.  He's showing himself as a regular grandfather... albeit one that could take out a bad guy at the drop of a hat or bring his family through any disaster that may befall them.

I'm really looking forward to reading this book.  I'll give you a full report soon.

3 comments:

  1. I just got my SHTF vehicle Monday. A 1986 M1009 CUCV (military Blazer). I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I'd love to post some pictures of it if you want to send them in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! I guess that's as close to a "deuce-and-a-half" as I'd ever need to get. But I wonder what kind of mileage he gets... might be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.