8/23/12

Prepper Ponderings

Covered Bridge Home

I'm looking at a neat show on HGTV right now called "You Live In What?" where folks have converted other buildings to homes.  An old ice cream factory, a train depot, that type of thing.  One really cool one with potential for preppers was built on an old bridge crossing a good sized creek.  By necessity it is narrow and long, but very well built with lots of comfort and conveniences.  As a prepper, I was intrigued by they ability to exit on either side of the water (or even straight down into the water), the running water under the bridge, and the wooded, secluded environment.


Green Living Festival

For those in the Hampton Roads, Virginia region, there is a Green Living Festival at the Newport News Midtown Community Center (570 McLawhorne Dr.) on September 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • Free admission
  • Over 70 vendors
  • Earth-friendly lectures
  • Farmers' Market
  • Children's activities
  • Live music and entertainment
  • Fitness and health demos
They are also having rain barrel workshops at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.  The workshop costs $40 and you need to preregister at 757-591-4838.

For more information, please visit www.NNMasterGardeners.org.

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to go, but if I do I'll let you know and I hope to meet some readers there.


Off Grid Green Living Center

Last weekend I was way over south of Richmond when I noticed a building on the side of Midlothian Turnpike (the epitome of urban sprawl) with a sign that said "Off Grid Green Living Center."  Intrigued, I stopped in on my way back past a little later.  Inside, I found a nice lady named Lori, who is the general manager, a few water barrels, and a bunch of solar panels.  Lori told me they just got a contract to install the largest residential solar system on the East Coast at the home of a local multi-millionaire who was the CEO of a long time Fortune 500 company that sold out a few years back.  I don't remember exactly how big she said it would be, but I think it was like 102,000 or 108,000 KW.  Most residential ones are in the 5,000-8,000 KW range.

Lori said they sell and install turn-key solar systems, but they also offer the unique service of solar training systems to electricians, building inspectors, and other businesses.

In the next couple of months, they will be opening a new section of the store dedicated to preparedness with gear and long-term storage foods.  They will also use the classroom facilities to offer preparedness classes on a wide variety of topics.  I'm looking forward to that.  You can check out their website at www.OffGridGreenLivingCenter.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.