Looking forward to meeting some local readers tomorrow night and helping some new folks learn about prepping with my static display.
Date: Sept. 19, 2012
Location: Fire Station 1
4315 North Courthouse Rd
Providence Forge, VA 23140
Welcome (3 min)
Delegate Chris Peace
Local Safety and Response Panel Presentation (10-12 min)
New Kent Fire and Rescue: Brandon Jenkins
New Kent Sheriff Office: Sheriff Wakie Howard and Chief Deputy Joe McLaughlin,
New Kent Board: Supervisors ________________________________________________________________________________
VDEM: Presentation (10-12 min)
George Urquhart, Dir. of Preparedness, _________________________________________________________________________________
VDOT: Presentation (10 min)
Mike Cade, Residency Administrator, Ashland Residency
Service Provider Panel with Q&A (10 min)
Dominion, Cox, Verizon
Wrap Up Remarks:
Delegate Peace (2 min)
New Kent Co-Op Extension
New Kent Habitat with Walmart
New Kent Sheriff’s Office
New Kent Fire and Rescue
Service Provider Table
Donald Green: www.ifithitsthefan.com
Terry Mixer: Shelf Reliance
Providence Forge Volunteer Rescue
Check Out These Videos
Reader VT Paladin has been putting up some YouTube videos related to prepping. He's got some on canning (I'm fascinated by his corn cob jelly - never heard of that), some sales and deals, and some general thoughts on preparedness. Pretty good information. Check him out here.
Dr. William Forstchen's Talk at the Self Reliance Expo
Dr. Forstchen is the author of One Second After, a New York Times best selling novel about life in a small North Carolina town after an EMP event knocks out power and generation across the country. He spoke briefly about the book and how it came about, and then took questions from the audience. Among some of the highlights...
- Writing the book took a huge emotional toll on him. He may write a sequel, but hasn't decided.
- The nation as a whole has done nothing to prepare for or combat EMP. There has been talk about having an entire city do a drill, but it never came about.
- He believes the threat of EMP is real. Iran has test fired missiles straight up and publicly called it a failure, but in reality the tests could have been for an EMP producing nuclear payload.
- a "perfect" threat would be three missiles exploding - one over the East Coast, one over the Midwest and one over the West Coast.
- The missiles could be smuggled to our coasts on shipping vessels, in shielded containers.
- He is a big fan of the mid-60s VW Beetle or van as an EMP-proof car.
- He said he is a prepper, and really wishes that everyone would be... not just for an EMP, but for any of life's disasters that might get thrown at us.