4/6/11

Morning SHTF

Hooray For The Generator

Yesterday morning, a storm rolled through the area in the wee dark hours, causing our power to blip off for a few seconds, just long enough to wake me up before it came back on.  Although I'm on vacation this week, I had to go to a training class for work yesterday.  As I was walking down the hall, back to the bedroom to get in the shower, the power went out again.  And stayed out.  At that point, I was on time for getting to the class, but altering my schedule would have made me late.  I took a quick shower to get what water I could without running the well pump, and headed out.  Luckilly, my wife didn't have to go to work until after lunch.  The power came back on about 11 o'clock.

This morning, I woke up to a power failure at about 6:15.  I'm back off today, but my wife had to get up for work by 6:30.  I fired up the generator (I just tested it on Monday, so I knew it was good to go), and she had normal levels of hot water for her shower and could even run her hair dryer.  She went off to work and I shifted the breakers so that I had full power out in the shop, and had another very productive day out there (I have WAY too much stuff, but I'm working on it).  The power came back on about 10 or so.


Top Shot Spoiler Warning
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A big congratulations to Gunny Zins for his awesome 1,000 yard shot with the Barrett M82 .50BMG rifle.  George, the USAF sniper, got the target with one shot.  Gunny took three shots, but he was several seconds quicker on getting the hit than George was.  With the win, Gunny got immunity, and at the elimination (pop up targets with a M1 Garand), Jay Lin, the golf pro, ended up going home.

2 comments:

  1. Goes to show you that even though generators are a bit on the expensive side that they are well worth the price when you need them. I have been looking for one that won't break the bank but can give me enough power to run the bare essentials when necessary. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BVDD - ours is 7,500 load with 13,500 peak. It's got enough oomph to run most everything in the house except the heat pump. We got is several years ago in a promotion through the power company. They delivered it and installed the box to bypass the meter. I don't remember what it cost but it was 12 months interest free, and was about retail for the unit, so installation and wiring was essentially free.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.