7/5/11

It Hit The Fan... Again

Glad We Have A Generator

If you've been a reader for a while, you know that we lose power around here if someone sneezes in the direction of a power line.

We had a heck of storm come through again last night.  My dad lives about 10 miles away and they lost their power about 8:30.  We still had power as the storm faded away before we went to bed.  About 2 a.m., I awakened when my CPAP machine shut off.  I had to get up at 5 a.m., and we were hoping it would come back on before then. 

I went to try and sleep in the living room since I snore so loud.  Needless to say, by the time the alarm went off at 5, I hadn't gotten much sleep and the power was still off.  I slipped on my Petzl headlamp (that I reviewed a couple months ago) and went out to fire up the generator.  Outside, I heard work going on down the road, so I walked on down to the church where the linemen were cutting up a large tree that had fallen across the road, taking out the power lines.  When asked, he told me that I ought to go ahead and fire it up because it would be a while.

I hooked up and started the generator, then topped off the gas tank.  I tell you, if you have ever messed with a generator while trying to hold a flashlight or having your spouse standing in the rain/snow with you holding it, you need to get a headlamp.  It was the first time I tried it, and I'll never hold a flashlight in a storm again!  It made it so much easier having a bright light with both hands free.

Anyway, I got the genny started and powered up the refrigerator, freezer, water heater, well pump, and a couple of lights and outlets.  I quick email to the boss, and I was back in bed to get a two hour power nap with my CPAP.  I wouldn't have made it other wise.

After waking, I topped off the tank again, showered, and went on to work.  My wife works late on Tuesdays, so she got a little sewing done (do you think I can get her to go to an old foot powered machine?) before getting ready for work.  Before she left, she powered down and shut off the generator.  I left work a little early and got home ready to fire back up, but the power was on and the we were back in business.

Countdown to Pathfinder

Today I stopped at a surplus store for my last items for school later this week.  I got two pair of BDU trousers, made by Propper, which by all accounts are the best standard BDUs you can get, all to military spec.  I got one in tri-color desert and one in black.  They were the only two in my size.

I also got a half dozen MREs, apparently marked as DOD.  When I was in, I actually loved MREs.  I haven't had any since the early 90's vintage, and the ones I got are of newer stock.  I'll take notes on them and do a review of the various menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.