2/6/12

Starbucks BUYcott

2$ for 2A at Starbucks

Starbucks in an interesting business in the world of 2nd Amendment advocacy.  In most states that allow concealed or open pistol carry, private businesses are allowed to prohibit customers from carrying in their establishments.  Among business that do that are Buffalo Wild Wings and TGI Fridays.  Some places don't set a corporate policy and allow local franchisees to make the decision.

Starbucks is often thought of as a place for liberals to get their pretentious caffeine fix.  But they do something good for gun owners.  The corporate policy is for local franchises to be no more restrictive than the local law.  State won't allow open carry?  Can't do it at Starbucks.  State does allow open carry?  Can do it at Starbucks.  Same for concealed carry.  Some time ago, the libs found out about this and began a campaign to have Starbucks bar all firearms.  They've held firm.

One anti-gun group is trying to organize a boycott of Starbucks on Valentine's Day (Feb. 14th - don't forget your wife or husband) to get them to change their policy.  There is a grassroots movement afoot for pro-gun folks to counter the boycott with a BUYcott.  To emphasize the reason, folks are encouraged to go to their banks to get a few two dollar bills, then use them on their Feb. 14th Starbucks purchase, along with telling the cashier or manager thank you for supporting the Second Amendment. 

I don't drink coffee, but I'll be going to Starbucks with my $2 bills next Tuesday to get an ice tea or something like that.  I encourage you to do the same.  If you have an extra $2 bill or two, pick up a drink for someone else in line and tell them the purpose.

But I still refuse to order a "grande."  I always get a "large."

2 comments:

  1. I attempted to participate today. I engaged a clerk in conversation about the boycott / buycott. The kid had no idea so I explained what was going on. Clerk one asked me what the second amendment was, he thought it was the freedom of speech.

    Second man behind the counter piped up and said no one should have guns and he didn't want anyone in the store that carried. Having little choice to comply (I was armed naturally) I returned my coffee and left.

    The store in question is located in East Greenbush, NY (518) 286-3153 and this particular shop was not 2nd amendment friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ought to send an email to corporate, he was definately violating their policy by telling you guns weren't allowed in the shop.
    http://www.starbucks.com/customer-service/contact/retail-stores-form

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.