4/12/12

Make Your Voice Heard

The First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Have you ever signed a petition?  Maybe in high school to allow short pants... perhaps to get a neighbor on the ballot for town council?  Did you know that there is an online petition program for the White House?

I came across the White House Petition page today through my other interest in fine cigars.  There is currently a petition there to ensure the FDA does not take charge of cigars and associate them with the same oppressive regulations as cigarettes.  Anyway, while I was there, I checked on the other 44 petitions that folks had started.  A couple of them dealt with issues of liberty and freedom.
Support Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods (GMO)
Require States to Reform Zoning Codes to Allow Tiny Home Structures Under 1,000 Square Feet
Require Genetically Modified Foods to be Labeled as Such

There are more than a few dealing with the legalization of marijuana, and even a couple dealing with UFO's.  It's a pretty interesting page.  I doubt the petitions are paid any attention, but it is a way to exercise your rights and make your voice heard.  It is somewhat of a pain to register the first time, but after that you can sign as many petitions as float your boat with just a click of the mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.