11/6/12

Prepper Ponderings

Yes on Prop 37

I really hope Proposition 37 passes in California.  This will require food manufacturers to identify foods that contain Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO).  They have to tell us how much sugar, fat, protein and vitamins are in our food, but not if they contain GMO products that have an unknown affect of humans.  Funny how Big-Ag and Big-Food are so against the idea...  If it passes in California, then the manufacturers will likely label all products nationwide.  It just isn't worth it to them to have separate labels just for California.  I seldom am in favor of new laws, and even rarer that I am in favor of something coming out of California, but this is a good law for consumer information.


Election Fraud?

This morning, we went to vote at the church down the road from us.  I was the 26th person of the morning.  My wife was in front of me and another guy was in front of her.  We use paper ballots, and each person gets a manila folder with a ballot in it.  Both my wife and the other guy had two ballots in their folders.  They were honest and turned the extras back in, but if it is happening to one out of every 13 voters, how many will not be honest?  Will the results show that 478 people voted today, but they ended up with 514 ballots?  When I called the state election board to report it, the lady literally said, "What the Hell?"  I try not to attribute to malice what can be written off as incompetence, but this is ridiculous.


Before Doomsday Preppers

If you like classic TV, check out the Twilight Zone episode, The Shelter
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

There was also a season 1 episode of Happy Days called "Be The First on Your Block" where Howard invited a bomb shelter salesman to meet with the family and discuss building a shelter for the family.  It used to be on YouTube, but I can't find it now.

This video from the History Channel shows a newsreal clip of the first model homes in a 1950s subdivision to feature built-in bomb shelters.

All of this reminds me of my 100th post that I did some time ago where I shared all of my Great Grandfather's notes from his shelter that he built in 1961.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.