12/5/11

Book Reviews

American Apocalypse Series

I recently finished reading the four books of the American Apocalypse series, written by "Nova."  I've always been a fan of the post-Apocalypse genre, and was excited to get started with this series, just based on the title alone.  Before starting, I had no idea what the precipitating event that kicks off the Apocalypse was, so every page was a new story.

The basic back story is that there is a sharp economic collapse that takes "Gardener" from being a cubical-dwelling IT guy to a homeless guy living on handouts and scavenged food to a de facto police officer in his community.  Along the way he fights run-of-the-mill bad guys, along with power mad and corrupt political and military big wigs.  The first novel and part of the second one cover everything a person could want in post-Apocalyptic fiction... victory over insurmountable odds, a road trip, a little romance, and growing good-evil ambiguity.  About halfway into the second one, it takes a turn to sci-fi/fantasy with a Nordic goddess becoming a part of the group and even, in the third novel, an appearance by Thor.  Not the comic book superhero, but the Viking god.

I really enjoyed the first two, by the third, it was getting a boring, and by the fourth novel, I was ready for it to be over.  If you like sci-fi/fantasy, you would probably enjoy the entire series more than I did.  It was well written, just not my cup of tea.


Don't Forget The Contest!!

Don't forget to enter our contest to win a free Sport Berkey Water Filter Bottle!  Check out Saturday's post for the details!

3 comments:

  1. What gets me about this series, at least in the beginning is how shadowing it is of our 'now' in so many ways. The third/fourth was a bit over the top in some ways, but still interesting if you are into the story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't yet, you ought to check out the "Enemies" series by Matthew Bracken, Lights Out by David Crawford, One Second After by William R. Forstchen, and Patriots by James Wesley Rawles. Don't know why, but I got on a "post apocolyptic" kick and have been feeding it the last few years. And if you don't mind zombies, try the "Day by Day Armageddon" series by J. L. Bourne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SurvivingSHTFmom - Yep, I can really see our current situation devolving to the environment in the first novel.

    GeorgieBoy - Patriots and One Second After are great, I'll check out the others - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my posts. I do ask that you keep the language clean. I reserve the right to moderate comments and will delete any that violate the principles of respectful discourse or that are spam. I will not delete your comment for simply disagreeing with me.